We are looking for part-time IT Instructors- Software Development to teach our Diploma in Software Development program out of our Vancouver campus. It is a part-time, one-year contract position.
The purpose of the Software Development diploma program is to provide students with the opportunity to earn a diploma with specialist practices and technical skills in software development that meet industry needs. The program will prepare students for employment in an entry-level developer or tester roles in a range of organizational contexts, or to proceed to further study. The program is designed for students seeking to focus on one or more application domains, such as general Application Development, Web Development, Games Development, and Mobile Applications Development.
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for a people person, who will ensure that the good standing of the College is maintained with integrity and reliability in relation to the teaching standards, materials and infrastructure to all stakeholders. Someone who enjoys working in a team environment, is creative in course material delivery and embraces opportunity. Last but certainly not least, the successful candidate must be passionate about working in education while maintaining an uncompromising principle of ethics.
You will be brought in as an Instructor, specifically focusing on the delivery of IT courses within the Software Development Diploma programs. You will be based out of Sterling College’s Vancouver campus, but will be working from home due to the pandemic situation. You will be compensated on an hourly basis. You will utilize your business experience and your own previous personal growth to assist our students in becoming productive members of the business community.
Courses to be taught:
· IT Systems
· Data Handling and Web Concepts
· Professional Practices
· Programming Principles
· Business Analysis and Solution Design
· Client-side Development
· Data Structure and Algorithms
· Game Development
· Application Security and Server-Side Development
· Data Access Management
· Web Services
· Mobile Development
· Software Testing and Maintenance
· Agile Project Management
What will your responsibilities be?
• Teach using an experiential model drawing from person experience and relating the experience of others so that our students can expertly contextualize their learning
• Coordinate and maintain standards of excellence for program
• Ensures compliance with the Private Institutions Branch, Provincial and Federal Student Loans and any national expectations and standards for quality education
• Utilize the learning management system to enter grades, attendance, and student correspondence
• Assist students in their personal professional development with career development assistance including resume suggestions, presentation skills, and other soft skills
• Help our students understand every aspect of business are by area including organization behavior, operations, strategic thinking, and more
• Manage student issues as they relate to the classroom
• Plan and coordinate field trips and guest speakers
• Be responsible for implementation of lesson plans
• Discuss all curriculum concerns and revisions with instructional team
• Participate in Sterling College promotional activities
• Represent Sterling College with professionalism and the highest level of ethics
What do you need to be good at?
• Online instruction
• Strong communication (both orally and written) and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work with minimum supervision
• Ability to discuss solution-oriented ideas with management
• A broad understanding across each segment of business including human resources, operations, etc.
• Demonstrate creativity, innovation, and networking
• Proficiency in Microsoft software
• Professional appearance and businesslike manner at all times
• A genuine desire to be involved in the day-to-day instructor-student interactions while facilitating the college’s curriculum
• A friendly, outgoing, and compassionate nature
• Leadership qualities
• Strong organizational skills
• A team player
A minimum of 24 months of full-time occupational experience with a degree in IT or diploma/certificate with 10 years of demonstrated experience in an IT/software development setting.
A minimum of five years management experience is preferred.
Applicants must also have proficiency in Microsoft Office applications such as: Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Please note that applicants who do not possess the required education and work experience identified above are not eligible for this opening due to regulatory requirements.
Job Type: Full-time
If you think you are fit for the job, please send your resume and a cover letter to [email protected]
Please note that only applicants who pass the screening will be contacted. We thank you in advance for taking the time to apply with Sterling College.
We thank all candidates for their interest in advance; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.